Friday, April 6, 2012

Marlene's got a screw loose!

As planned we arrived in Mazatlan on Wednesday.  We were greeted by John (Maestra), Terry and Patty (Mystique) and Ned (Frannie B) who helped Damiana tie up to the dock.  That evening we went with John and Gaye, along with Doug and his new girlfriend at the new Italian restaurant on the Isla here in the marina.  Pasta, 2 for 1 was excellent, so was the salad.

We  made plans on Thursday to celebrate Carol's birthday (Frannie B).  After John took Roy to Pemex twice to fill diesel jugs, he then took us shopping at Mega and then to Panama (fantastic bakery) where we bought a flan/chocolate cake for the birthday celebration.  We got home in just enough time to get dressed to go out to dinner.  Uh oh --- as I was getting off the boat I twisted my foot, the same one with THE ANKLE and was in instant huge pain.  Nonetheless, not one to miss the party, I shuffled along, trying to hide my huge pain, and suggested that we get a cab rather than try to manage the bus.  We went to Topolo, a lovely restaurant in the historic district and had a spectacular dinner.  Andy and Debra from Murar's Dream joined the party.  The restaurant graciously accepted that we brought dessert, even installed and lit the candles and sang Happy Birthday as they brought the cake to our table.

As the night progressed, so did the swelling.  Roy worried that maybe I had a fracture.  Upon crashing on the salon seat where I spent the night, he made an ice pack for me and we tried to get some sleep.  First thing on the morning net, Roy asked about where we could go to get an x-ray.  John hopped right up to the occasion and offered to drive us.  Within 15 minutes of arriving at the hospital I had a series of x-rays (total cost 200 pesos -- approximately $16 U.S.) with the good news that there was no fracture.  But the x-ray revealed that I have a broken screw from the ankle repair of 2008 along with another screw that appears to be loose.  So when I get back to Santa Maria we'll look into whether or not they should be extracted.

Our passage to La Paz has been delayed -- we hope to cross the Sea of Cortez sometime next week.

~~~ Marlene ~~_/) ~~